Many people don’t have an idea how a horse feels in the wrong bit. Well, imagine wearing shoes that are too small for you…that’s the pain and feeling horses are experiencing while wearing the wrong bit. Also, that’s one of the reasons why they react so badly, or can hardly do what you ask of them to do.
It is vital for his health to have the right bit. It is essential for his comfort and for effective communication. Also, this reflects your overall success. So, you must know the signs that are telling you that something is wrong with the bit.
- Head Tossing. If you notice your horse throwing his head up and down at a standstill it’s a sign that something is wrong with the bit.
- Bridle Evasion. If your horse refuses to open his mouth for the bit or he is backing away.
- Chomping On The Bit. While standing or in motion, your horse chomps on the bit.
- Braces Against The Bit. Your horse braces against the bit at a jog or lope when you ask him to stop.
- Poor Work Ethic: When it comes to working your horse consistently has a bad attitude.